Drug Rehabs in Florida and the Evolution of Patient Brokering Laws “The Florida Shuffle”
The spotlight for addiction treatment marketing has been in South Florida for some time. The media has jumped on the bandwagon to get more viewers for more advertising dollars. Some of this coverage is slanted and irresponsible. It has caused many ethical players to struggle in keeping their doors open while causing others to close their doors. The focus of the coverage should be that the new “Florida Model” is paving the road for national laws against patient brokering.
We are fighting a heroin epidemic (more than 150 per day) and the stigma of addiction. One-sided stories of South Florida are hurting more than they are helping. They have slanted that drug rehabs West Palm Beach and Florida is the only place patient brokering is occurring. Let’s be perfectly clear here, patient brokering is happening all over the United States. Florida happens to be one of the nation’s more popular destinations for addiction treatment. Soon we will see the spotlight shift to other largely populated recovery areas like California, Texas, Arizona and the Northeast.
Who’s Keep Track and Regulating the Drug Rehabs Industry?
Although it is difficult to accurately measure how many addiction treatment centers, sober homes, 1/2 way houses, recovery residences, and drug rehabs West Palm Beach exist in the geographical area there is some data. For instance, the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) did a study in LA County showing 260 sober living homes with a capacity of 3,265 individuals. The number is most likely in excess of 600 based on industry unconfirmed sources, while the unconfirmed numbers in the West Palm Beach, FL area are between 400 to 600.
What to do in West Palm Beach, FL Area, and Drug Rehabs Reputation
West Palm Beach, FL is a diverse community and a destination for many including those suffering from drug and addiction problems. It’s beginnings date back to 1513 with Juan Ponce de Leon and had a population of 20,000 native Americans. West Palm Beach’s current population is 100,000. In the heart of West Palm Beach is the Flagler Museum, the Kravis Center, Clematis Street, and City Place districts. These are the areas that attract much-seeking treatment, however, they are filled with nightlife, bars, clubs, and restaurants. The largest West Palm Beach area attracting those with drug and alcohol addiction issues is Delray Beach, FL. These are some of the reasons why drug rehabs West Palm Beach have been targeted.
Understanding Why Drug Rehabs West Palm Beach Has Such a Bad Reputation
Drug rehabs West Palm Beach ground zero Delray Beach, Florida
In the West Palm Beach area is the heart of the recovery community in Florida. Although Delray Beach is only 15 square miles there are many sober homes and 1/2-way houses. It has been marked by the New York Times in 2007, as the drug recovery capital of the United States. This dubbing was due to having one of the nation’s largest addiction recovery communities and the highest number of sober living homes.
Other major news outlets like NBC News have aired stories on drug rehabsWest Palm Beach fraudulent practices and claimed Florida is generating a billion dollars a year. Consider this, in 2015, Forbes did an article claiming the addiction treatment industry generates 35 billion dollars a year. Florida generates a billion dollars, where is the other 34 billion? According to these numbers, Florida may not be the worst state with patient brokering issues.
Governmental Drug Rehabs Florida Listings
The governmental listing for Florida drug rehabs shows fewer centers than actually exist. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMSHA) website only lists 92 addiction treatment facilities categorized as substance abuse in a 25-mile radius around West Palm Beach, including Delray Beach, FL. This list includes addiction treatment centers West Palm Beach, drug rehabs, sober homes, and halfway houses. Even though we know there are many unregistered sober homes, this list should most likely be over 400 facilities.
In comparison on SAMSHA’s website, there are 274 treatment centers, sober homes and halfway houses listed in a 25-mile radius around Los Angeles County. These numbers fall in line with the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) study and clearly show we need to address that all addiction treatment centers, sober livings, and halfway houses be registered and regulated by some governing body.
This article simplistically outlines the new Florida drug rehabs laws and behavioral health legal counsel should be contacted for exact interpretation. Our goal is to direct addiction treatment centers and sober living owners, operators and addiction professionals to the Florida law statutes. This is paramount for them to operate ethically and responsibly. It also goes beyond educating addiction treatment centers West Palm Beach, there are laws across the entire US.
From Regulation to Patient Brokering Laws for Florida Drug Rehabs
The regulation in the addiction treatment industry stemmed from five Florida rehab centers bills. These five bills HB 807 (SB 788), HB 249 (SB 588), HB 477, HB 557 (SB 840), and SB 866 (HB 791) have taken many concerned elected officials years to get passed. If you would like a simple break-down you can read, “Patient Brokering Top 5 Legal Things Nationally.” You may also want to read the “Top 5 Criteria for Sober Livings in Florida.”
What Do Drug Rehabs in Florida and West Palm Beach Laws Cover?
The new Florida drug rehabs laws cover much more than just rehab marketing for drug and alcohol addiction treatment centers. The laws affect more recovery residences. 1/2-way houses and sober homes West Palm Beach, Florida area. They cover all of Florida.
The laws also cover opiate detox West Palm Beach. It must also be understood that if you are out of state and engage in breaking any of these new laws with an organization in Florida, you are subject to Florida laws and can be prosecuted. This includes offering any enticements (airfare) to bring a client out of the state of Florida.
Chapter 2017-179 Encompasses Drug Rehabs in Florida and West Palm Beach
The CHAPTER 2017-173 is a criminal statute which specifically prohibits Florida drug rehabs any health care providers or health care facilities from giving or receiving any form of remuneration in exchange for referrals, regardless of the source of payment for the applicable service or product. The Florida Legislature passed the Patient Brokering Act after learning that various hospitals, mental health, addiction treatment centers and sober livings we’re brokering patients.
While the laws focus on Florida drug rehabs, they apply for the entire state of Florida. The laws also cover deceptive web marketing practices. Popular search terms like “addiction treatment centers West Palm Beach” are being redirected to shady websites copycat sites.
Overview of Drug Rehabs in Florida and Addiction Treatment Centers West Palm Beach Laws
- Licensure application; requiring accreditation for certain licensure renewals.
- The new role of DCF.
- Higher licensing fees to cover the cost of regulation.
- Background screening for owners, directors, chief financial officers, and clinical supervisors.
- Authorizing the department to deny a renewal application of a regular license if received fewer than 30 days before expiration.
- Requiring clinical supervisors to undergo background screening.
- Requiring the department to establish minimum standards for licensure of substance abuse service components.
- Specifying standards, procedures, and staffing requirements.
- DCF can conduct announced and unannounced inspections.
- Limiting referrals to and from recovery residences in certain circumstances; providing exceptions; requiring a service provider to maintain certain referral records.
- Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services can take action against an entity providing services without a license.
- Unlawful for a person to offer or pay, or solicit or receive, benefits for clients.
- In order to be issued a regular addiction treatment centers West Palm Beach license, the applicant must be in compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements. An application for renewal of a regular license must be submitted to the department at least 60 days before the license expires.
- A service provider or Florida drug rehabs licensed under this part may not make a referral of a prospective, current, or discharged the patient to, or accept a referral of such a patient from, a recovery residence unless the recovery residence holds a valid certificate of compliance as provided in s. 397.487 and is actively managed by a certified recovery residence administrator as provided in s. 397.4871.
- 397.4871 does not apply if referrals by a recovery residence to a licensed service provider when the recovery residence or its owners, directors, operators, or employees do not benefit, directly or indirectly, from the referral.
- A licensed service provider shall maintain records of referrals to, or from recovery residences as may be prescribed by the department in the rule.
- After June 30, 2019, a licensed service provider violating this section shall be subject to an administrative fine of $1,000 per occurrence. Repeat violations of this section may subject a provider to license suspension or revocation pursuant to 397.415.
- Making a false or misleading statement, or providing false or misleading information, about the provider’s, or operator’s, or third party’s products, goods, services, or geographical locations in its marketing, advertising materials, or media on its website. This is often done to increase drug rehab SEO rankings.
- Including on its website false information or electronic links, coding, or activation that provides false information or that surreptitiously directs the reader to another website in their rehab marketing campaigns.
- Entering into a marketing contract with a provider who agrees to generate referrals or leads for the placement of patients with a service provider or in a recovery residence through a call center or a web-based presence, unless the service provider or the operator of the recovery residence disclose the following to the prospective patient so that the patient can make an informed health care decision.
- Information about addiction treatment centers West Palm Beach, the specifically licensed service providers, or recovery residences that are represented by the provider and pay a fee to the marketing provider, including the identity of such service providers or recovery residences.
- Clear and concise instructions that allow the prospective patient to easily access lists of licensed service providers and recovery residences on the department website.
Drug Rehabs in Florida get educated at Addiction Executive Conferences on Ethical Marketing and Business Practices
Florida addiction conferences EMP Series next event is on 8/6/19. You can click on the conference picture to the left and learn more about how Florida drug rehabs are educating California drug rehabs. Behavioral Health Network Resources has held behavioral health events for 3 years with 14 addiction professional conferences. These events have provided vital business and marketing intel to survive the drastic changes from new laws and regulations. California is experiencing what Florida experienced 1-1/2 years ago. The events tackle and provide proven, ethical business and marketing strategies. Addiction treatment centers and sober livings learn proven long-term solutions for maintaining a healthy census and how to generate more revenue.
Each event is in a unique talk show host, town hall-style conference featuring 5 Executive panelists. This is an interactive forum that features 150-200 attendees and 15 exhibitors. You can contact Charles Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 561-235-6195 if you would like to be a panelist, sponsor or exhibit.
W2 Employees and 1099 Contractors, You Florida drug rehabs may not be Protected.
- Many people seem to believe that they are free to compensate marketers based on the number of patients or the amount of revenue they bring to an SAT provider as long as the marketer is hired on a W2 basis. Is it really that simple?
- In addition to carefully choosing whether the characterize the marketer as 1099 or W2, are there any other steps SAT providers can take to help shore up their marketing arrangements from a regulatory perspective?
Florida Drug Rehabs in West Palm Beach Understanding the Laws
Florida drug rehabs, sober homes, and addiction treatment centers in the West Palm Beach area have been hit hard with media coverage on the Florida Shuffle. This has affected many ethical operators making it difficult to obtain new clients. Centers now are looking at drug rehab SEO to compete with PPC using Legit Script. Florida only accounts for one billion dollars of the industries 35 billion dollars that are being generated.
The media in its effort to gain viewers and advertising dollars need to be more responsible with their reporting. They need to report all the other bad areas including California, Texas, Arizona, and the North East. The bad publicity from drug rehabs West Palm Beach is driving individuals seeking addiction treatment to another state where it could potentially be worse. Judging by the industry revenue numbers of $35 billion a year, there is $34 billion that is unaccounted.
We would love to hear your thoughts (below) on the current status of patient brokering in the addiction treatment industry.
New Laws Effect Drug Rehab Marketing
The new laws have impacted addiction treatment center marketing on how they can get referrals. It is now paramount the drug rehabilitation centers establish ethical referral relationships. Below is the top 5 addiction professional referral resource to assist outreach and marketing professionals. Connect with ethical centers in the Facebook Addiction Professional Referral group with 20,000 members helping dozens every week. This is an extremely active group with professionals seeking a fit for their clients and individuals seeking help.
- Facebook Addiction Professional Referral Group 19,000 Members with 500 waiting to be approved. One of Facebook’s most active addiction groups, highly monitored with over 6,000 banned in the last 12 months.
- Linkedin Addiction Professional Referral Group 14,000 Members
- Facebook Addiction Treatment Centers West Palm Beach Connection 2,000 Members (Only in Florida)
- Facebook California Addiction and Behavioral Health Connection
- Get connected to the “Top 60 Addiction and Behavioral Health Social Media Groups“- Over 120,000 Members.”